Sunday, May 19, 2013

Digital Citizenship

What is your opinion of using social media such as Facebook and Twitter for educational purposes with older students? Federal law states that individuals must be at least thirteen in order to have an account. In your reflection, consider the viewpoints of other stakeholders.

My opinion as to the use of social media in the school changes with the weather. I feel that social media can be a very powerful tool, but it also only takes one person to stir up a whole mess of problems. Students of today have such a platform to be hear, without the opportunity to filter or retracted many things. Now, in not having a firm opinion I do think it should just be blocked. Students simply use their cell phones or go around firewalls to post of social media. In my opinion it is not worth the effort to be punitive in policing the problem, so embrace the issue.

In embracing social media in the classroom, teachers should practice and teach positive ways to use social media. Such thing as developing projects around social media, using it as a resource for learning, or a communication tool. I feel that giving rights to kids, and expecting them to model appropriate behavior can empower the student.

As a high school teacher, my students are all legal to use social media. I have tried to use twitter as a reflection piece on exiting the classroom. Students are required to tweet about where they are at in the design process throughout their project. I've developed a distance cooperation project where student communicate through facebook. My goal is to show students how social media can be used as a positive. Just as businesses use social media as a marketing tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment